Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Cooking With Greens... When You Don't Like Them

I know it is completely "un-southern" but I just don't like greens, you know, the cooked for hours green mess?  I think I am allowed, as I am not really from the south, but greens are full of fiber and other great nutrients so I really wanted to try to incorporate them into our diet.  I have finally come to enjoy collard greens in a number of things, I find they have a much milder flavor compared to kale, so I've started using them in my morning smoothies.
For a smoothie, especially if you're a person who doesn't like the taste of greens, I recommend pairing them with a strongly flavored fruit such as pineapple or strawberries and make sure you blend thoroughly so you don't end up with something you have to chew.

I like the following combination: 

2 cups chopped collard greens, I do two handfuls.
5 oz frozen pineapple, I find mine at Dollar Tree or if fresh is $0.99 then I use that
2 oz berries, I also find this at Dollar Tree in 10 oz bags
1 oz aloe vera juice, I can occasionally find this at Dollar Tree, their's is with the sugar added, but I'm willing to overlook this due to the cost savings.
8 oz water

Blend everything thoroughly and enjoy!

As I mentioned above, I am fortunate to have a few Dollar Tree stores in my area that have the freezer section, I know not all have that.  If you are one of the lucky ones, then picking up your berries here is a great way to save money.  Even when I do find fresh berries on sale, they aren't usually as low as frozen from Dollar Tree.

During the government shutdown, we were fortunate to live in an area where local businesses and even farmers donated things so that we were able to weather the storm.  One day my husband brought home several large bunches of collards so I washed, chopped, blanched, and froze them right away.  I not only used them in my smoothies but also in this dish that can be a wonderful side dish, or with the addition of something like chickpeas, your main meal.


Italian Orzo and Greens

Ingredients:

8 oz of Orzo pasta, cooked according to the package directions
10 oz of chopped collard greens
1/2 cup minced onion
10 oz of cherry tomatoes, halved, I used a 15 can of crushed tomatoes, as that is what I had on hand.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, optional
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Lemon, optional

Directions:

Cook Orzo according to the package directions.  Meanwhile, heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, I recommend a large cast-iron or a dutch oven as you will need room for the collards to wilt down, add the onion, season with salt and cook about five minutes until softened.
Add your garlic, tomatoes, and seasonings; (if you are using drained chickpeas to make this a meal then add them at this time) lower the heat to medium-low and cook 5 minutes until everything is bubbly.  If the mixture gets to dry, add some water, you want a thick tomato sauce.  Stir in the collards, season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes until the greens are wilted, you want it to be tender-crisp.
When the Orzo is done, drain well but don't rinse, and return it to its pot, stir in the remaining olive oil to keep the Orzo from sticking together.  Stir the Orzo into the greens mixture and add the parmesan.  Taste and season if desired.  Before serving, you can finish it off with a small squeeze of lemon if you want.

Enjoy!
Nichole

No comments:

Post a Comment